Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Measuring the Snow


A leading topic of conversation this winter is how much snow we are getting. Today is February first, and already we’ve had more snow than falls during an entire typical winter season.

How many inches? I don’t know. With each storm I look out the window and estimate the depth of the new snowfall, but I do not keep a running tally.

Except...

I just purchased the third 2-1/2 gallon can of gasoline for the snowblower this season. This is remarkable because, prior to this winter, I have never had to purchase even a second can of fuel. Historically, I fill the snowblower’s two-gallon tank in November, clear the driveway during the winter, and drain the leftover gas in the Spring.

Not this year. I’ve burned through five gallons so far and with this week’s storm I will begin to use gallon number six.